archived from my old blog, boyandbride.com
Delicious, Delicious, Delicious! We made mini monkey breads in honor of reading Caps for Sale last week and the monkey theme. We had a great time.
Here is the Recipe from Rachel Ray:
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, chilled
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, chilled
Sweeten the deal
Stir together 1 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 tablespoons milk and drizzle over the bread as it cools.
- Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven and pre heat to 425°. In a small bowl, microwave 4 tablespoons butter and the maple syrup at high power until melted, 30 seconds; stir. In a small bowl, stir together 1/3 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar and the cinnamon.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, the remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and the salt; pulse to combine. Cut the remaining 1 stick chilled butter into small pieces and pulse with the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Pulse in the buttermilk until the dough just comes together. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface; pat into a 10-inch square (the dough will be sticky). Quarter the dough, then cut each quarter into 16 equal pieces; roll into balls.
- Dip each ball in the maple butter, then coat with the sugar mixture. Place 5 to 6 coated balls into each muffin cup and press to compact.
- Bake until cooked through and golden, 15 to 17 minutes (tent with foil if the tops darken too quickly). Transfer the muffin pan to a rack and cool for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the sides of the monkey bread; invert on a platter, then turn right side up. Serve warm.
Look at the messy fun we had.
Archived from my old blog